Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Cutting Celery

My uncle Allan grew Cutting Celery in his garden. That's where I'd first learned of it's existance.
He was diabetic and used this particular celery to add flavour to his soups and sauces. I think it would be nice added to dips as well.
I find the taste to be a little on the pungent side, and more flavourful than the regular celery stalks one finds at the grocery store, but enjoy it nonetheless.
Thinking this (I'm going to call it an herb), kind of celery is really underrated here in North America, but have heard that it is highly valued and a mainstay in many dishes overseas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cutting celery is an actual celery, just without the enlarged stalk, and I've never grown regular but imagine this variety is easier to grow.
The attractive 18" tall plants produce an abundance of dark green foliage that does indeed resembles regular celery, but looks more like an herb to me and I treat it as such.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Culture:
Harvest leaves often by cutting 3/4 way down the stems , so that new tender leaves can emerge.
I've used the leaves both fresh and dried, as they do retain their delicious flavor.
Soups, salads, sandwiches, stews, and more, can benefit from cutting celery.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think it's an annual. I haven't had any success with over-wintering it, so that's just a guess...! Feel free to jump in and comment if anyone can add to that!
From my experience, it performs best in fertile soil in full sun. I grow it in a raised bed. Make sure to keep well watered!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I suggest planting it in your kitchen garden! (with 6" spacing.)
This year, as an experiment, I'm going to try growing it indoors to see if it will perform like some other herbs do on a sunny windowsil.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy Gardening!
.

3 comments:

witchymee said...

I have never tried to grow celery, but think I might this year. Would love to know how it turns out in your sunny window.

Kimberly said...

I've never grown celery, and have actually not heard of this kind of celery. I think it's foliage is quite nice...resembles cilantro, but larger. I imagine I might like it. Keep us posted on your kitchen celery.

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Thanks very much Witcymee and Kimberly! I'll keep you posted! And yes, I also thought it resembles cilantro! Great minds think alike ; )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...