Tuesday, 13 April 2010

Clematis alpina "Constance" - Springing to Life!



The top picture is what they look like when they bloom, which is pretty early, even for Haliburton. I love the little downward facing, bell shaped flowers. Very dainty!
Such a hardy Clematis, too. The picture above, which I shot today is showing some nice new growth! It's also one of the easiest Clematis' I've ever grown.
It flowers in May and June, and is followed by really fluffy, attractive seed heads.
-------------------
I think mine is almost at it's mature height, which is 6-8' (1.8-2.5m).
You might be able to tell that I've trained mine to grow (with support of mesh) up the side of a tree. It's completely covering the base all the way around, and 6 feet up.
----------
The 1/2 to 3 inch wide semi-double flowers are borne on last year's shoots, as you can see in the second picture, and those seed heads stick around through fall.
I collect some of the seeds and leave the rest for the birds!
-----------------
The foliage is divided into 3 - 5 lance-shaped, and kind of wide, oblong leaflets. A very pretty shape indeed!
C. alpina is (thankfully), highly suitable for sites which are cold and exposed, i.e., where I live!
It is a native to Europe.
It tolerates most soil types, but like most plants prefers a well-drained mix.
It takes partial shade, but will also tolerate full sun.
Hardiness: (to USDA Zone 3 = or Zone 4 in Canada)
-----------------
Thanks for viewing and Happy Gardening : )

3 comments:

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

Karen, what a great idea. I have an old sugar maple that has a bad (and fresh) scar on its side. This would be lovely covering it.

Sylvana said...

Its modesty makes it all the more beautiful :)

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Deborah, thanks. It was really done this way, growing up the tree because I didn't have a trellis at the time. Otherwise I wouldn't have thought about it! Necessity is the mother of invention applies here, lol.

Sylvana, that is a lovely comment. Thank you. I agree.