Thursday, 15 April 2010

Hollyhocks - They'll Grow Anywhere!


Talk about a rock and a hard place!
As you can see, Hollyhocks will grow just about anywhere!

This is what it ends up looking like. I think it's a Double Chaters, but the seeds were shared with me from a friend, and it's not the maroon variety, but a really hot pink colour, so I'm not entirely sure about that.
It's almost 7 feet tall. Everytime the wind blew, I was checking to make sure it didn't snap because I wanted it to produce more seeds so I could collect them!

A better (somewhat), close-up of the flowers. Kind of like pom-poms!

Another one growing between the cracks! This one has a bit more space.
----------------------------
Hollyhock was once the most popular flower in gardens across North America, and is most certainly back in vogue today! So Easy to grow. Hardy to Zone 3 USDA.
--------------
Thanks for visiting. Happy Spring!

7 comments:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

I agree, it's a beautiful plant! My problem with it is a rust...

Rebecca @ In The Garden said...

Great post, such resiliant plants. Don't let Jodi (bloomingwriter) see this though, despite her green thumb this plants give her a lot of grief!

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Tatyana, mine also developed the rust. I don't know if this is true or not, however, I read somewhere (can't recall the source) that if there's Musk Mallows also growing in the vicinity, hollyhocks will get the rust. I have some growing here...Could be folklore, but who knows?

Thanks, Rebecca! And hopefully Jodi totally overlooks this post! ; )
However, I'd be happy to share some seeds! : )

Enjoy your day, ladies!

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Such beautiful flowers. Last time I grew these, they were taken down by an awfully strong wind right as they were about to burst with bloom. I haven't planted them since. I'd forgotten how pretty they are.

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Oh, what a tragedy! I sympathize for sure.
Many years ago, in my mom's garden, I'd planted several bearded iris. They were all just about to burst into bloom. Big, beautiful blue and white ones. My parents dog, who was very large, layed down beside them and preceded to steamroll right over them. : (
Anyhow, do try the hollyhocks again!

CherylR said...

They are very beautiful flowers indeed and like the musk mallow they pop up everywhere. I have never heard of rust. Hmmmm, hope it does not come this way.

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

Every old farm house had these outside their door, but the rust is so annoying.