Sunday, 11 April 2010

Naturalizing Daffodils in the Lawn

I would really love to have more varieties of bulbs naturalizing in my lawn than just Daffodils, however, the deer have already munched away on my Crocus, (which are also a good choice if you're thinking of planting bulbs in your lawn and don't have a deer issue), but thankfully, they don't bother the Narcissus, so every fall I plant more.
These daffs have such a sunny disposition and when I pull into my driveway, it's always nice to be greeted by them!
---------------------------
Other great flower bulb varieties to choose from, and which naturalize in lawns without much effort, (except for planting), are Muscari (grape hyacinth), Scilla siberica, Iris reticulata and Iris danfordiae.
---------------------------
A general rule of thumb is that bulbs need full sun in spring, and of course, well-drained soil, which keeps them from rotting. Sun loving bulbs can be planted under deciduous trees which usually will not be fully in leaf until after the bulb foliage has faded.
---------------------------
I planted mine in a very random manner. Didn't want a formal look as I don't think this is a formal type of gardening! I made spaces between the groups and used stakes to mark the areas already planted. That way I was able to remember where I'd already planted bulbs, and where I still had areas I wanted more planted.
---------------------------
The bulb foliage has to be left to fade completely and die back naturally, ensuring that the bulbs will have the required energy and nutrient they need for multiplying, which means an even better display next year. I tend to add compost every year to the areas they grow, which seems to be helping them thrive.
---------------------------
Thanks for viewing! Happy Spring : )

11 comments:

debsgarden said...

I love your daffodils by the birdbath. I think there is something romantic about daffodils naturalized in the lawn. This post has some great information. Thanks!

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Yes! It is romantic! That's an excellent description, Deb. Thanks very much for your wonderful comments! So glad you stopped by. Have a great week : )

Rebecca @ In The Garden said...

Beautiful! I naturalized a small patch last year, but stuck to small bulbs. How do you handle mowing the lawn as the daffodil foliage dies down?

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Wonderful, Rebecca, and thank you! A good question, too. That section of lawn you see in the picture, is about a 12 ft. diameter section in the lawn, around that birdbath. I let the daffs die down naturally, then mow the whole thing. I rake it really well, add compost and native wildflower seeds/grasses. I've found that by leaving that circle in the lawn to grow as likes for the rest of the season attracts many pollinators to my garden, and other beneficial bugs, toads, etc. which tend to the other parts of my garden, keeping bad bugs away, fromthe areas that are more formally planted. It's been a bit of an experiment, and being one not to use any chemicals, this one patch of wild lawn has really worked well for me in this respect!
Now, you don't have to do this, and could keep the whole area more neat/tidy, simply by tying the daff leaves in a knot and mowing around them until they have really died back. Hope that helps!

Annelie said...

Love that random look too. More natural.
Isn't it great how something like this can cheer you up? I think I'll plant more daffodils as well in the fall.

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Thanks, Annlie. I couldn't agree more! I'll be planting more this fall, too! Have a great week, and thanks for stopping by.

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Ooops, sorry Annelie... Misspelled your name!

Chandramouli S said...

Informative writeup on the bulbs, Annelie. I am a bulbs lover myself and am praying that a seedling that's germinate two weeks ago is Grape Hyacinth.

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Thanks very much for your comment, Chandramouli. Wishing you success with your bulbs. Grape Hyacinth are very pretty.
Cheers,
Karen

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

I do love daffs, but I am trying to naturalize scilla in my lawn. In Kingston, it was almost through the lawn, but now I am starting from scratch again. In the last two years, I have planted 150, just waiting to see how they look this year.

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Deborah, I bet that was incredible. There was a lovely old home on Mt. Pleasant Road, in Toronto, that had a lawn full of scilla. My husband and I used love driving by to see that blue lawn!
Just think, in a few years, you'll have the Kingston look back again. Kudo's for planting 150. What a job! Do you have any pictures? Would love to see them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...