Saturday, 26 June 2010

Hemerocallis - Daylily - In the Garden


Like most people, I wish the lovely Daylily's flower would last longer than just a day.
There are so many hybrids and cultivars of this genus, that a real daylily fan could spend a small fortune investing in the new choices that becomes available every year!
The one shown here in my garden is a dwarf variety. I'm waiting anxiously for my larger double variety, named "Kwanzo" to appear. It's a real beauty!
--------------------------
Apparently, the flowers can be eaten raw, and tho' I've yet to do this, so don't take my word for it, I am willing to give it a try!
Just imagine how pretty a salad would be with a few of these blossoms thrown in!
--------------------
So, not only are they pretty when they flower, but I like their lanceolate foliage, too. They make a nice border along a fence, but I must say, to see them growing wild along a roadside ditch in full bloom, a whole smathering clump, really is a sight to behold!
--------------------------
Daylilys are really easy to grow, and a spot can be found for these lovely specimens in mostly every garden!
--------------
For further info, please feel free to view..
links:
.
Happy Gardening!
.

8 comments:

Shyrlene said...

Hi Karen! Daylilies are one of my fav's - they are sweet and dependable.. and would grow for me as a fledgling gardener. Have you done a recent 'walkabout' photo montage of your gardens lately? I would love to see a virtual tour! -Shyrlene

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Hi Shyrlene! Your description of a Daylily is perfect! Bang on the mark.
Had never thought to do what you've suggested, either. Am really honoured, by the way! : )
The wheels are turning! If it ever stops raining here, I'll have to give it a try. A bit of a challenge for me!
Thanks again very much, and I hope you have a great weekend,
K

Rosemary said...

My son and I tried eating daylily flowers a few years ago after reading about it on Plants for a Future. While the sweet nectar at the base of the petals was nice, we got a weird tingling feeling in our mouths. We will not be eating them again.

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Rosemary, thanks for the head's up. Perhaps I might retract wanting to try them now, lol! Besides, then I'd have to pick the blooms while they're in their prime, which is a loss for the garden.
On the flip side, though I'm wondering if there were any chemicals sprayed on the flowers that you might not have been aware of. Pesticides and such would certainly have the same affect that you described.
Sorry to hear you had an unpleasant experience, though, and thanks for commenting.

Phil said...

Very nice blog love the pics and with great info

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Thank you very much, Phil. I really appreciate that!

Crystal Rose said...

There are many daylily flower species. There are species that can use in culinary, some can use as medicines, and others have toxics too. Kwanzo is a beautiful flower. It has a rusty red highlights and over lapping petals and it is really tall. It is the only known triploid daylily. I really love to see your next blog about that one.

Rose Silver said...

I also want to try eating this flowers. In chinese cuisine there is what they called dried golden needles. These are fresh or dried daylily flowers. It is used in hot and sour daylily soup, Buddha's delight and moo shu pork.