Monday, 28 June 2010

Hens and Chicks in Claypots - Sempervivum


Well, like most gardeners, you know there's always a few little empty claypots hanging around, unused, and just waiting to have something plunked into them.

A friend of mine has Hens and Chicks coming out of her ears, and even tho' I've lots in my garden already, she was kind enough to offer me, literally, bags of them.
Who am I to say no to that?!
-----------
Well after cramming in as many as I could, all over the rock garden, there were still a few left in the bag. I didn't want to just chuck them into the compost, (seemed like a waste), so I rummaged through the shed and found these little pots.
---------------
I potted up the Hens & Chicks and even added some moss around the edges, just to give it a finished look. Now they adorn the little bistro set on my verandah, adding a nice touch to an otherwise empty table.
Thinking something along these lines would make for a nice hostess gift, too!
In any case, this fall, I'll just plant them... somewhere. Certainly got my money's worth! ; )
-------------------------
There are so many different shapes, sizes and colours of Hens and Chicks out there.
You might also know them as "Houseleeks", and they can be found at the garden centre under their latin name, Sempervivum.
These hardy succulents are extremely drought tolerant, make a great addition to the front of a border or a rock garden, and the best thing is that they will thrive in the worst soil one can offer!
---------------------------------
Happy Gardening!
.

2 comments:

Helen at summerhouse said...

Karen I love Hen and Chicks too. And these look wonderful potted up. You've just given me an idea for a Birthday present I need soon.

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Helen, thank you! So glad to have offered up a useful idea for you. Can just imagine some of you're gorgeous mosaic art brimming with these little succulents.
The recipient is very lucky, indeed!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...