Wednesday, 23 June 2010

Lemon Thyme - Herbs in the Rock Garden


Thymus citriodorus variegata is one of my favourite herbs that contains a really lovely scent.
It's just starting to bloom in the rock garden.
Lemon thyme is wonderful in the sense that you can just touch it with your hand and smell the aroma immediately.
-----------------------------------------
It's a popular culinary herb with many uses. Soups, salads and sauces all benefit from a little addition, and I especially like to have it on a romaine salad. Very tasty!
A Lemon Thyme dip is scrumptious, and all that takes is a combination of mayonnaise, lemon zest, and some salt/pepper. Probably, it's best known for it's use on grilled chicken. Really nice this time of year on the barbecue.
-------------------------
Lemon Thyme is very hardy, and I have no problem growing it in my rock garden, where it seems very happy, despite our very cold winters. This little evergreen prefers full sun and well drained soil, and it's very drought tolerant, too.
-----------------
A nice addition to any herb or rock garden, and would be particularly lovely in window boxes, too, draping over the sides! I can see it now.
.
Happy Gardening
.

3 comments:

wiseacre said...

Not to mention the wonderful variegated leaves and the carpet of flowers at peak blooming time :)

The Mindful Merchant said...

I love lemon thyme. I think my family would like the lemon dip you mentioned...will try it. Thanks. :)

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

@ Wiseacre, thanks! You're absolutely right. The variegated leaves are pretty and dainty in their own right! I can imagine a pathway with them growing amidst rock stepping stones. That would be heaven scent! ; )

@ Mindful Merchant, (Hello Laura!), that's my pleasure, and thanks! Let me know how it turns out! Hope your family enjoys it.

BTW, I enjoyed visiting both of your blogs! Excellent posts.
K

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...