Friday, 9 July 2010

Friday Flower - Pumpkin Patch


I didn't actually plant this pumpkin plant. Well, at least not on purpose!
This grew as a result of me putting the pumpkins I'd purchased last year as Halloween decorations for my front steps, into the raised bed last Autumn.
I completely forgot about them, and they took it upon themselves to decompose over the winter, (which to me is one of the magical aspects of of nature), so, lo and behold, (and much to my delight), the seedlings started appearing early this Spring.
Don't you just love a freebie?!
--------------------------
The flowers are really pretty, actually! A brilliant colour and as big as the span of my hand. Can't help but think they look like squash flower on steroids!
So, althought I'm not actually sure what variety this pumpkin is, I'll have a really good chuckle if I have one or two for harvest this fall.
----------------
The raised bed it's growing in is not that large. I have two raised beds, side by side, each 4' x 8', and at present, am growing heirloom carrots, beets, as well as many varieties of herbs. Thinking that this is an experiment at best, and hoping to harvest the carrots and beets before they are crowded out by the pumpkin plant, which is already starting to happen.
So.... Perhaps later on in the year I'll be able to post some actual photos if anything comes from this very welcome and free addition to the garden!
--------------------
Happy Gardening!
.

12 comments:

Ginny said...

I had the same thing happen with tomato plants - plants sprouted the following year from ripe tomatoes that feel off on the ground. I love it when that happens!

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Ginny, that's just wonderful! I'm betting you enjoyed that freebie very much, too.
Thanks for visiting and sharing! : )

Crafty Gardener said...

Wouldn't it be lovely if you got a pumpking to use for this year? Volunteer plants are the best.

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Oh, yes it would! And, have to say that I really like the term, "Volunteer plants", Crafty Gardener. Thanks!
Hope your enjoying your summer so far!

Helen at summerhouse said...

Isn't it great when nature works on her own? We get a few surprises growing in our compost sometimes too. One was an avocado pit that grew into a huge plant after Bill rescued it. It's amazing that this grew from an old Halloween pumpkin though. Really neat.

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Helen, it is to be sure! And an avocado plant growing in the compost! That's fabulous, really.
A friend of mine tried to grow one from a pit, repeatedly, over the course of many years, on his desk at the flower shop we worked at. Most unsuccessfully, too. I'll have to mention your luck in the compost pile! ; )

Annelie said...

Yes, absolutely love freebies. What if you are growing one of those price winning mega size pumpkins, obviously you have the right growing conditions. Watch out!!!

KarenSloan-WallFlowerStudio said...

Ha ha! Annelie, too funny! I wasn't going to let my mind go there, but yes, that would be amazing! :^)

Jim Groble said...

The same thing happened to us. The pumpkin plant is now 20ft by 15ft. It has taken over the entire bed. But does it look cool. jim

Wall Flower Studio said...

Holy moly, Jim... That's huge!! I bet it does look cool! Wishing you a very happy harvest this year.
And let me know if you end up growing a prize winning freebie! : )

somepinkflowers said...

just found you randomly
on flickr...

{{ don't you Love
when that happens! }}

i feel very
at home over here
and
am openly coveting your fence
and
your somepinkflowers
there
in your banner...

Wall Flower Studio said...

Welcome and thank you, Somepinkflowers!
I love random finds, too, and ususally chalk stuff like this up to serendipity!
So happy you discovered my wee blog and glad you like the pictures.
I'm grateful for all comments, visits, and new blogger friends, but you've put a particularly big smile on my face. : ) Thank you!!
I hope you'll come back often!
All the best,
K

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...