Saturday, 31 July 2010

Scarlet Runner Beans - The Best of Both Worlds!

Hummingbirds love these flowers!
That's one of the main reasons I grow them.

The Scarlet Runner Bean (Phaseolus coccineus) is the best of both worlds,
being both an edible and an ornamental!
.
The attractive red flowers last throughout the growing season and are favoured by
Butterflies, Bees, and those Hummingbirds, too!
.
This lovely heirloom will climb vigourously on poles, fences, trellis', or any support it's given.
If enough of them are planted, they'll actually make a nice visual screen on the deck, patio or really, anywhere in the garden.
They prefer full sun, and I've found, despite what other's say, they take the heat of summer very well.
.
I'm currently growing the regular red Scarlet Runner variety, as well as the "Painted Lady", which is a red and white bi-colour. Pictures to follow...
.
Admittedly, I've never eaten them since I always save the seeds for sowing & planting next year, however, here's a link to a site with a recipe and cooking instructions for those who might be interested.
.
Plus, if you're seeking seed, I have organic and open-pollinated
Scarlet runner seed packets available
at my Etsy shop. : )
.
Thanks for visiting!
.

2 comments:

The Mindful Merchant said...

I had no idea beans were so pretty! Thanks for including a recipe. We bought beans today at the market and I'm looking for something different to do with them. :)

Wall Flower Studio said...

Laura, that was good timing on both our parts! So glad I posted this today. Thanks!
Now I'm hungry! (ha ha!)
Let me know how the beans turn out, and good luck! : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...