Thursday, 2 September 2010

The Harvest Begins @ Wall*Flower*Studio

Heirloom zucchini -"Black" (if you let them grow large, they're great for stuffing!)


Beefsteak tomatoes, with basil for good measure.

Arikara Sunflowers

Heirloom tomatoes, not quite ready.

Heirloom peas from the 1600's


More tomatoes and beans


Citron Melon - Citrullus lanatus


Rattlesnake Pole beans ~ Another heirloom
.
Well, this is just the beginning of the harvest for me. Lot's more to do and I'll have more pictures to follow.
.
It's been a good growing season for sure! Everything you see here is organically grown and open-pollinated. Don't you just love heirloom veggies?!
.
Happy Gardening!
.

4 comments:

Annelie said...

I do love them!
Hope they taste well.

Wall Flower Studio said...

Thanks so much, Annelie!
Actually the Citron melons don't really have any flavour, however they store well and are used to make marmalade, candied fruit and things like that.
But I can tell you the tomatoes, beans and peas are very tasty! : )

Laura said...

Yes, my family is slowly learning more about heirloom vegetables. The photos are so beautiful Karen...and are making me hungry! :)

Wall Flower Studio said...

I'm so pleased to hear that, Laura! I really think they are tastier than many found today in the grocery chains, but I think even they are coming around. Farmer's markets are thriving everywhere, and people are starting to get back to the garden. It makes me very happy to see this trend.
Thanks for the kudo's. Would definitely share with you if we lived closer!
Have a great weekend : )
K