Sunday, 7 November 2010

Create a Bath Spa from your own Garden!


I think most gardeners are somewhat crafty people. And I mean that in the sense that we're the type to make silk purses out of sow's ears! (In a manner of speaking, that is...)
.
What I'm getting at, is that if you grow herbs in your garden and if you like to dry and store them, why not make your own herbal tea bath bags?
I've been doing it for years, and thought maybe it would be something interesting to share here with my fellow gardeners.
.
My Grandma always used Epsom salts, speaking highly of their virtues, and being a bath person myself, I started adding epsom salt, sea salt and various dried herbs in muslin bags, tying the bag to the tap as the bath fills.
.
Relax all your cares away in a hot bath with all the essential ingredients contained in a giant tea bag. Especially after a long day in the garden.
.
Dried lavender flowers release essential oil and fragrance into the bath, sea salts dissolve and work to relax tired and sore muscles, and milk powder dissolves to condition skin. The best thing is once you are done and rejuvenated, there is no mess of dried flowers to clean up - just pick the tea bag up to discard.
.
Now that I've discovered you can buy empty tea bags, which can be filled with herbs and ironed shut, there's no turning back! I also love the fact that it's all natural ingredients. Nothing harmful to the body or the environment.
Lavender, mint, sage, basil, chamomile, or anything that strikes your fancy, can be added, then iron the opening and throw them in the bath! It's that easy.
.
Here's a recipe I've used for many years. Hope you enjoy it too!
.
You'll need...
~1 Muslin bag (or) Empty tea bag.
~ Some dried herbs:
lavender, rosemary, rose hips, chamomile, rose petals, dried orange or lemon peels,
~ 1/2 cup Epsom Salts
~ Blender
~ 1 tablespoon of Dried milk powder
~1/4 cup Dead Sea Salts
~ Essential oil of your choice (Just a couple of drops)
~ Olive Oil or Safflower oil (Just a couple drops)
.
Directions:
~Mix the dried flowers/herbs in the blender which helps to release their essential oils.
~Add a few drops of essential oil with a half cup of Epsom salts.
~Mix well and fill your muslin cotton sachet or tea bag and seal it.
~Hang the muslin bag from the spigot on your tub, or just float the bath tea bag in the tub for a few minutes before you get in.
It's that easy! Enjoy!
.
If you'd like to try some, but don't have the ingredients,
please feel free to
visit this link to my ---> Etsy shop, where I have Bath Tea Spa bags available,
and many other great garden gifts to purchase.
.
Thanks for visiting!
.

3 comments:

Finola said...

I heard about your blog from The Mindful Merchant and I just wanted to stop by and say hi. Hi! I am not a gardener, but your blog makes me wish that I was. Beautiful ideas and photos!

Lynn Bay said...

Excellent information! Thank you so much for sharing. Our gardens are such a precious resource and we need to be reminded that there are uses for some of our flowers..etc. than just being pretty!

Wall Flower Studio said...

Hi Finola! Lovely to meet you. Thanks for stopping by for a visit. You're always welcome here! Thanks so much for the compliment. And you're likely a gardener at heart! Just one plant in a pot is all it takes. : )

Lynn, thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed this post. I was happy to share it, and hope people might think about trying some of these ideas. But you're so right, a garden can be pretty, but also useful, too! Come back anytime! : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...