Thursday, 17 February 2011

Mesclun Mix - Planning to Plant in the Garden

Some salad greens from last year. I love a variety of colour and foliage.
Wall Flower Studio's Mesclun Mix - Lots of variety!
.........

The word “Mesclun" means "mixture."
For me, it's when early sweet lettuces and tangy, tender greens are pre-mixed,
then sown and grown together.
.
Mesclun is actually amazingly easy to grow.
Most seeds will even germinate in cooler weather conditions.
.
The key, I've found, is making sure that the soil is evenly watered until the seeds germinate, which will usually take place within a week.
.
I've noticed that Mesclun mixes are becoming increasingly popular as people discover the wonderful ways to use different greens. Many can be container grown, so it's an accessable way for people to grow their own food.
.
I've created a custom blend for Wall Flower Studio.
Many unusual and tasty greens are included for growing,
and no two salads grown & harvested will every be alike!
I kind of like the sound of that!
.
The seeds included are:
Red giant mustard, Red deer tongue lettuce, Russian red kale, Mizuna mustard, Arugula, Tom Thumb lettuce, Black-seeded Simpson lettuce, Parris Island Romaine, Persian Cress, Lacinto Kale, and Reine Des Glaces Lettuce.
.
If you don't have a lot of experience growing from salad from seed,
I'm thinking that a Mesclun mix is a great way to start.
Ending up with a great harvest with very little effort is my kind of gardening!
.
Would love to hear if anyone else is growing their own salad mixes.
Thanks for stopping by!
.

4 comments:

Jenn's Cooking Garden! said...

Hi Karen,
I love your web site and blog! I will be visiting often! I will be spending the rest of my rainy day reading your past posts!

Jenn (4bratz2luv)

Wall Flower Studio said...

Hi Jenn! Thanks so much!!
That just puts a big smile on my face.. Can't think of a nicer compliment! : )
It's raining here too.. Should be snowing, lol.
Enjoy your day!
Off to visit your blog, too. Just added it to my favourites!

Artificial Grass said...

This is perfect for salad! I also like its color. Having that mixture of yellow green leaves and maroon ones.

Wall Flower Studio said...

Artificial grass, I totally agree. I enjoy growing a mesclun mix as much for it's pretty colours, as I do for it's great taste!
Thanks for commenting!