Monday, 21 March 2011

Dandelions! Time to Embrace them. They're not the enemy!

Call me crazy, but I like Dandelions.
.
That's right. And, I couldn't help but think of them this evening.
Here's why:
.
As I watched the news this evening, mostly pertaining to events surrounding the tragic things happening to our Japanese friends, like many, I watched in horror.
.
The newscasters once again presented me with horrible news,
that being the radiation levels in some parts of Japan has affected their food supply, especially milk and vegetables, and has now spiked to dangerous and deadly levels.
.
Then came a commercial break... I was about to get up and make a coffee, however...
A commercial came on that caught my attention.
.
It was a commercial for Roundup®. You know that stuff.
It's a poisonous chemical herbicide, created by that giant chemical conglomerate, Monsanto.
.
You've heard of Monsanto, right?
They were the co-creators of Agent Orange.

Wasn't that nice of them?
.
A real tribute to mankind.
.
So, back to the Roundup.
You know the stuff. It's the chemical you have to actually pay for, so that it can be sprayed in the garden, perhaps on food being grown, Food that you might feed to kids, friends and family members.
.
So, picture this...
A cowering little Dandelion. A big bottle of Roundup®, aimed & ready to open fire on that Dandelion.
.
Talk about playing up to an old Wild West Mentality!
I actually laughed at the absurdity of it all.
Absurdity mixed with a heaping helping of disgust.
.
This chemical company is telling me that a useful little yellow flower is my enemy!!
.
What does Monsanto have against dandelions?
What did a dandelion ever do to deserve such a powerful enemy?
Why do they want to instil such hatred into my head for this little flower?
.
Dandelions have never done anything to me.
Have they ever done anything to anyone?
Not that I know of...
.
So, I'll tell you why...
It all comes down to corporate profit.
.
If Monsanto can't promote the dandelion as an enemy to you and me,
no more profits for them or their shareholders.
.
Well, I don't give a damn about their shareholders.
.
There is cause and affect for everything we do.
Perhaps people don’t realize that the chemicals they spray has to go somewhere.
It doesn't just miraculously go away..
It leaches down into the soil.
.
The earth we live on.
.
Right into our water supply.
.
Hmm, I have a well on my property.
I don't want to drink this poison, or have my children drink it either.
.
That, my friends, would be asinine. It makes no sense.
.
Who in their right minds would want to choose to poison their own water hole?
.
A 2008 scientific study has shown that Roundup formulations and metabolic products cause the death of human embryonic, placental, and umbilical cells in vitro, even at low concentrations.
.
So, my point is that there’s no need for Monsanto's poisons if Dandelions aren't really our enemy.
Hmmm. That sounds pretty good!
.
I mean, come on.... Is one plant, growing between the cracks in our patio's so hideous, and such a blight to our sensibilities as human beings, that we're ready to spray deadly and harmful poisons on our own property,
which may subject us and our children to ill effects down the road.
.
Consider this, a main active ingredient of Roundup is the
surfactant POEA (polyethoxylated tallow amine),
known for its toxicity in wildlife.
It increases herbicide penetration in plant and animal cells.
.
Consider also the fact that several weed species, known as
superweeds, have developed resistance to Monsanto's herbicides,
largely because of repeated exposure.
.
Superweeds?? This sounds like sci-fi thriller. But it's actually happening now. And, it's part of the reason our food costs are higher.
.

Monsanto now has to create more powerful herbicide chemicals to combat
those superweeds they've created.
.
Sounds like the lady who swallowed the fly...
More absurdity.
.
Is a dandelion really worth all of this?
.
If a weed really bothers a person, I ask them to please consider boiling kettle full of water and pouring that boiling water on the crack that contains that little dandelion.
.
That'll do the trick. Really. It's that simple.
.
Consider our children, our future, our planet.
.
Consider the fact that using chemicals to spray a few weeds is overkill on so many levels.
.
Consider the fact that our Japanese friends now have poisons on their food supply that will likely be there for a hundred years.
It will make them sick if they eat it.
.
Why would we, smart as we are, pay for a toxic product and willingly do this to ourselves??
.
It's not really that much different when you think of it.
.
Things to make with Dandelions:

Dandelion Wine
.
Dandelion Jelly
.
Dandelion chains ( Remember doing this as a child?)
.
Dandelion leaves in salad. They're tasty and nutritious, too!
.
Dandelion Tea
.
Thanks for visiting!
Happy Organic Gardening!

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Thanks for posting this article about Dandelions. You have a great inspirational blog.

We are working with Dr. Zobel on a project called Garden Farmacies for Healthy Living, encouraging people to ecologically grow medicinal foods in their homes and asking restaurants to offer dishes made from this local produce. I think you would like Dr. Zobel's Blog and she will enjoy yours too. Dr Zobel's blog is http://drzobel.blogspot.com

The Quilted House said...

Excellent treatise on poisons! I personally think dandelions are beautiful and before I started gardening, they provided the only color in my yard! :-) herbicide companies, like so many others, are using fear to sell and that's really too sad.

The Quilted House said...

I mentioned this post in my blog yesterday! Loved the idea that much! I also featured one of your items to illustrate the blog post. really love your shop!

http://thequiltedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/03/thursdays-thoughts-ready-for-spring.html

Wall Flower Studio said...

Suzanne, thank you. I really appreciate that and it's great to meet you.
Admittedly, I don't always eat properly, but I try, and like you, I definitely subscribe to healthy living!
The idea of a medicinal garden is interesting, but would have to say my current focus is about the health hazzards of chemicals in the garden and in our food supply. It's constantly pushed on us consumers by big Ag, in what I perceive to be an unethical and underhanded manner.
I'll have to pop over and visit that link. Thank's very much!

Michelle, it's lovely to meet you! I really enjoyed your blog, and your Etsy is stunning.
I'm really impressed with what you're doing!
A big thank you from me. I saw your post was quite honoured by your kind words.
You summed up nicely, in a couple of sentences, exactly what I was trying to get across in my post. Thanks for that.
Wishing you much success!
K

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...