Sunday, 3 April 2011

Soap Nuts - More Eco-Friendly Laundry




These are organic Soap Nuts! The botanical name is Sapindus Mukorossi. This is actually a berry, grown and harvested from India.

Soap nuts contain "Saponin" which is a natural detergent used to clean clothes.

I first read about them a while back and was determined to try them. To be honest, I wanted to find out if it was just Snake oil! But it's not. They really work.


They've become popular as an environmentally friendly alternative to manufactured, chemical detergents .

Just a few nuts can be placed in a cotton drawstring bag in with a washload and reused several times. Soap nuts are safe for washing silk, woolens and other delicate fabrics. That's pretty amazing, really.

I reused a batch for 5 loads of laundry. The soap nuts were a bit mushy with a grey colour when I'd finally finished with them. All I did was compost them for my garden.


They have many benefits to detergent. A clean scent, very fresh! And my clothes were just as soft as the handmade powder I've created.

They're 100% natural, certified organic, chemical-free, fragrance-free, biodegradable and hypoallergenic. Fabulous!


Plus the price point is amazing when compared to most laundry detergents you'll find in the grocery store!

---------------------------

So, I put 1/2 oz. soap nuts (4-6 berries) in a unbleached muslin wash bag with a drawstring.

I simply tied it shut and tossed it in washing machine.

I re-used it 5 times and then chucked it into the composter

I've read that pre-soaking the berries for a few minutes helps facilitate faster release of saponin (the active ingredient), but I didn't feel the need to do that.


Thanks for visiting! Happy Laundry!

4 comments:

The Sage Butterfly said...

Wow...that is amazing! I have been to India, but I somehow missed the class on soap nuts. Where can we get these in the states? Or is their an online option?

Wall Flower Studio said...

Sage Butterfly, thank you.
I would LOVE to go to India. Everything about that country appeals to me. Lucky, lucky you! Would like very much to hear about your trip! Would you go back?
And, I'm not trying to push/sell you anything, but if you are interested, click the picture of Soapnuts I have, above in this post.
The link will take you directly to my online store.
I do have them listed for purchasing and ship across North America & accept Pay Pal.
But no pressure! I appreciate your comment!
Thanks again,
K

Jan@Thanks for today. said...

That is amazing...have never heard of these, or that anything like this even exists. Thanks for sharing. You have so much info on your blog(s)...a veritable treasure chest for learning;) Karen, you had linked your blog to my sustainable living project but I cannot find the specific post! Am trying to add it back with a specific link...is there a particular one you can add?! Any of them are appropriate as you are just one big sustainable whirlwind!

Wall Flower Studio said...

Jan, I can't thank you enough. You're lovely to say that, and I'm truly beaming from ear to ear!
Honestly, I tried the soapnuts because I was so curious after I read about them. I remained skeptical & figured they'd prove to be nothing more than "Snake oil", and that I was throwing good money away! But happily they do work.
Discovering stuff like this and sharing it here is a lot of fun. : )
Anyhow, thanks so much, Jan. Glad you like them!

And, I'll add another link to http://thanksfor2day.blogspot.com/2011/03/gardeners-sustainable-living-2011-win.html
The 2011 Gardener's Sustainable Living! What a huge success it is. Kudo's to you from me for bringing so many like minds together. : )
Have a great day!
K

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...