Sunday, 1 May 2011

Gardening Under Glass - Terrariums are Back in Style

This Begonia ended up in the Terrarium. Thinking it will thrive better under glass.



Finished product - I used a large apothecary jar with lid. Worked great!


I purchased (above), this 70's (?) terrarium at our local second hand store here in Haliburton. Unfortunately, it leaks a bit, so I'll have to calk it before I can plant it. Not a problem, tho'. For 5 bucks, I don't mind!
.
I added a layer of pebbles, then a layer of charcoal. (This can be found at most pet stores).
A bit of soil on top, the the moss all around the perimeter of the jar. Then I added the begonia, and a bit more soil. Next came the wee decorations!
.
Lot's of fun! Any jar will do. Thinking this would be a fun project for kids, too! You don't even need plants, really. Just some moss and perhaps other finds from the forest floor. Pinecones and cherished rocks!
.
Thanks for dropping by! Happy (indoor) Gardening.

2 comments:

The Sage Butterfly said...

I remember these from the 70's. It seemed as if everyone had one. Yours are very nice and full.

Wall Flower Studio said...

Thanks, Sage Butterfly. I remember them, too. We're dating ourselves aren't we?! ; )
Actually, I remember making macrame plant hangers with my Grandma.
Thinking I'll get one for my spider plant. Everything old is new again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...