Saturday, 14 May 2011

Guerrilla Gardening - Green Seed Balls @ Wall Flower Studio

Green recycled paper pulp Seed Balls - Packaged in a reusable organza bag!
Pulp mixture and seeds - I roll up the seed balls one by one!
Drying on the rack
A closer look!
I love making seed balls. This is another kind I've started making. Recycled Paper Seed Balls. They work exactly the same way as the other clay and soil seed balls I create. Green Seed Balls, made from recycled paper, mixed with a bit of dry clay and of course, a whole lot of seeds. Seed balls are a way for distributing and protecting seeds by encasing them in the mixture of clay and compost. Seed balls are used for seeding dry, thin, and compacted soils, and were invented by guerrilla gardeners to reclaim derelict land. They are an effective tool for re-vegetation and are great for areas where rainfall is unpredictable. Seed balls are scattered directly on the ground. They are not planted. They can be chucked over a fence! One of the biggest advantages of using seed balls is that you can scatter them on the ground without digging a hole or cultivating the soil.
Imagine strolling through town with a bag of these balls, tossing them on barren and unsightly areas, without even needing to break your stride. Very Johnny Appleseed!
They dry rather quickly, and all you have to do is throw them to grow them!
Lots of fun for Guerrilla Gardeners of all ages : )
Thanks for visiting!

2 comments:

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

This is WAY COOL. I gotta get me some of those seed balls! Never seen anything quite like 'em!

Wall Flower Studio said...

Hi Cathy! I'm so glad you like the seedballs!
My Etsy shop is closed for the time being. I'm trying to get my studio organized, and am packaging seeds right now for the Art Hive, here in Haliburton, but I'll be hosting a workshop, date TBA, and if you'd like to send me an email to: sloanartgallery(at)gmail(dot)com I'll let you know when that's going to happen. It would be lovely to meet you, too!
Cheers, and thanks again,
Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...