Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Succulents in Containers and Hypertufa

Well, I couldn't resist plucking some Hen's & Chicks from the garden and potting them up.

I added some pretty rocks and seashells that I've collected along my travels, just to fill in, at least until the hens & chicks do that themselves.

I may also add some mosses around them, too, just to add a finished look.

...........

Doing this put me in mind of Hypertufa containers.

That's the next thing I really want to make. I now have all the materials, so I'm looking forward to creating some, now that the weather is more amiable!

Likely many of you may have heard of Hypertufa, but if not, here's a little synopsis about them.

Hypertufa containers are wonderful for displaying rock-garden plants, alpines, or succulents.

.

Hypertufa is made from Portland cement, sphagnum moss, perlite, and water.

You mix it all together and create containers from that mix, usually by using a mold or something to make the form of a container. This combination of materials creates a porous container, similar to limestone, which makes them strong, but light weight.

.

So, another post for another time. It's going to take a couple of weeks to make them, but I'll post some pictures when all is said and done!


Hoping the hypertufa will age gracefully, collecting a patina of mosses and lichens, and I may just rub some yogurt on the hypertufa, just to speed this process up!

..

Thanks for visiting!

4 comments:

Shyrlene said...

LOVE the container.. love the HyperTufa idea!!

Wall Flower Studio said...

Thanks Shyrlene! I can't wait to make them. This weekend...
I'll post pictures when I do, and a step by step guide. Thought I could add some of the coloured tiles and glass pebbles that are hanging around my studio, on the container edges, just to glam them up a bit! : )
Happy Spring!

Jenn's Cooking Garden! said...

What a fun idea! I love playing with succulents!

Wall Flower Studio said...

Thanks Jenn! Me too! I'm looking to find different varieties this year. But really looking forward to trying the hypertufa containers.
I hope you had a Happy Mother's day! And thanks, because I saw your tweet, but couldn't get onto twitter. Sorry!... Damned dial-up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...