Tuesday, 17 July 2012

DIY Hypertufa Garden Planters & Troughs - Great for Succulents, Alpines or Herbs!

The mix is piled on top of the mold. See directions below!
A Hypertufa Garden Trough I made last weekend. This is just before I removed the plastic container that I used as a mold for the shape.
Hypertufa Garden Bowl - 10" across and 6" high. Pretty solid!
Side View - It's a little crooked, but I think that's part of the charm with Hypertufa containers!
See below for the finished results!
Here's the recipe I used - Directions below
-2 Parts Portland Cement
-1 Part Sand
1 Part Soil
-1 Part Vermiculite
Part Water (A good idea to keep the hose nearby!)
Shredded cocoa fibre for strength & adhesion
-Irish or Scottish moss mixed with a bit of buttermilk or yogurt in blender. This will grow on the containers later on!
You'll also need:
  •  Rubber gloves, a plastic sheet, a wheel barrow -or- container to mix everything, a trowel, and a mask because it's dusty before everything is blended with water.
  • You'll also need a mold. I used 2 old plastic containers. One round for the bowl, and the other rectangle for the trough.
  • A good idea is to build these on a sheet of styrofoam or wood where they can be kept until the containers are firm enough to move.
  • Mix everything to the consistancy of firm and not overly sopping cottage cheese. I found the less runny, the better.
  • Lay the plastic over your surface and place molds facing down.
  • Begin by adding the mix all around the base of the mold. It should be at least 1 inch thick so it doesn't crack and is more durable when dried.
  • Keep adding the mix around the mold until it's covered. Smooth it all out, even slapping it with your hands to get any air bubbles out.
  • Don't forget to make a drainage hole in the bottom. Poke it with a bamboo stick or just carve it out with your finger! Either way works well!
  • Mist them with water and then wrap them up with the plastic sheets.
  • I misted them every couple of hours. You'll know it's working if they feel warm to the touch. I kept them in a shady place so they wouldn't dry out too fast.
  • Do this for a couple of days, then gently remove the mold. A plastic one will not stick to the cement, so it should pop out rather easily.
  • Pliers are handy for gripping the plastic. Give it a gentle tug and it will come out with no problem.
  • Mist again and then leave them to dry. They should be ready to plant in a few days after drying. They should be left to cure a little bit before planting.
  • Have fun! That's all there is!  
And the finished products! I made several with the same plastic bowl. One is planted with succulents and the other with tropical plants.
Thanks for visiting ~ Happy Gardening!

3 comments:

Bee Busby said...

Very nice howto! Can't wait to see your beautiful plants in them. :)

Silly Sue said...

Thanks for posting the instructions. I really like the look of this planter.....must try to make one when the weather cools dowm.

Wall Flower Studio said...

Thanks ladies! I'm so pleased you like them. It's really very easy to do. If you make something, please send me a link so I can check it out!
I've made a couple more since, and a stepping stone. The turned out well. I'll post a picture of one that I planted up with hens & chicks.
Cheers,
K

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...