Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Happy Halloween! Reflecting on the Harvest and Saving Seeds

Funny thing about Halloween... it's become a time of both reflection and planning.

It always puts me in mind of how the garden evolved over the past season, good or bad, what plants grew well, what should be divided next year, (all of my hostas!), and what veggies I want to grow in the raised beds next year.
 
Seed Saving at Wall Flower Studio

One way I look back upon the season is when I start sorting all the seeds that have somehow, miraculously accumulated before my eyes!

Thankfully I have a very tolerant family who seem to be able to overlook the little assorted dishes, containers and envelopes containing seeds that were collected on the fly, and wait for me to organize when they're perfectly dry, so they sometimes stay scattered around the kitchen and studio for a couple of weeks.


Next, when the seeds are dry, the sorting and packaging begins in earnest!
This is the part that ties in with Halloween because that's usually the time that I'm quite sure that all of the seeds I've collected, especially the ones from September, are dry enough to pack away. Nothing worse than finding moldy seeds in February, just when you're ready to start them indoors!

Just have to mention, saving seeds is also an enjoyable task because it justifies all those trips to garage sales. I'm always on the lookout to purchase little glass containers or spice jars on my travels. Vintage or not, these finds end up being filled and labelled with whatever seed variety goes in them. They're actually quite pretty displayed on a shelf all winter.

That aside, saving seeds is a small way of thumbing my nose at Big Ag, i.e. Monsanto, a company who doesn't believe in our fundamental right as human beings to save seeds and is cornering the worldwide seed market as I type. They want to continue polluting this planet and us with their nasty GMO products, and if you've followed my blog for a while, you'll know I'm not exactly a fan of those corporate criminals... But that's a story for another day. ; )

Finished products! All packed up and ready to send!
From my garden to yours, have a very happy, safe and reflective Halloween!

4 comments:

Chris said...

Hi there, greetings from Northern Ontario. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Wall Flower Studio said...

Hi Chris,
Thanks so much! It's great to meet you. I'd be happy to visit and follow your blog. Looking forward to it!
All the best to a northern neighbour!
Cheers,
Karen

Ottawa Gardener said...

Awesome! Love the display, it looks great.

Eliza @ Appalachian Feet said...

Wow, your saved seed photos are so inspiring. I wish I'd gotten around to more of this last year. Sometimes I do, but sometimes things get busy and I just end up buying most my seeds.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...