Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Once upon a winters day in the garden... 'Tis the season to be cozy - After shoveling the snow, that is.

 Welcome to Wall Flower Studio! 
 Hope you have snow tires on! Four-wheel drive wouldn't hurt on a day like this, either. 
I snapped this photo on the way back from the mailbox. It was best to walk in those tire tracks because the snow is almost above my boots, and they're knee high. Admittedly it is pretty outside.. Even me, a person who covets the summer, it's heat and the time playing in the garden, tends to warm up to the beauty of winter. Besides, all of those bulbs and perennials need the rest so I can moon over all of them next year.  
Thought I'd share some photos from today's outing! Ends up that I did do more than just fetching the mail. I also shoveled the snow, which thankfully is light and fluffy, and not the backbreaking packing snow, which is great for making a snowman, but really heavy to lift!
 I had to clean off the suet so my feathered friends can have a bite to eat! Of course, when I brushed off the snow, some of it went down the back of my neck. Brrrr! Serves me right for not having my hood on.
 I just love the grasses and the winter interest they add to the garden. Very wispy looking.
 It wasn't too long ago that this obelisk was covered with Kentucky Wonder beans. 
Amazing the difference a few months can make!
 The Pee Gee hydrangeas draped with their winter coats. More winter interest. : )
 The bee balm have been transformed into what looks like Q-tips on steroids!
This wreath is supported on a chicken wire frame and wrapped with Spanish moss.
Its decorated with mixed evergreens, some dried sage and Artemisia. Very simple!
 My car is still in the 'hospital' getting fixed. In order to stave off cabin fever, I've kept busy making wreaths. Incidentaly, my house is also very tidy and the laundry is done. Can anyone relate to that?! A little bit different from the way things are in the summer, lol. 
 The barrel looks like a giant frosty cupcake or a muffin.. Or perhaps a winter soufflé?! Or, Yorkshire pudding?! I must be getting hungry. 
Thanks for stopping by! Time to get back to my shoveling. It's hard to tell I was already out there before you arrived! Soon it will be time for a big mug of hot chocolate. I've earned it! 
Drive safe and keep warm!

6 comments:

Bernie H said...

Your photos show a fabulous winter wonderland to my eyes. They certainly bought a whiff of cool on this hot steamy summer's morning over here.

Love the q-tips on steroids! Q-tips is not the name we use here, but I understood what you meant. I also absolutely love that wreath you created. It may be simple, but it's beautiful in its simplicity.

Wall Flower Studio said...

I'm happy to share with you, Bernie. Thanks for that! I'm dreaming of a summer morning, but will live vicariously through your wonderful photos. : )
Glad you got the q-tip thing! I was trying to remember what they would be called by something other than a brand name, and 'cotton swab' came to mind after I published, lol. It's kind of like Kleenex and tissue!
So glad you like the wreath. Thank you! Created it on Saturday at the workshop. Lots of fun! I've got it hanging outside.
Keep cool Down Under! xo

Bernie H said...

Keep sharing as I just love your winter shots. Maybe one day I'll get to experience a white Christmas. It's on my bucket list.

Over here q-tips are known as cotton buds.

Wall Flower Studio said...

I like 'cotton buds', Bernie! That's cute, and way better than 'q-tips'! I'm going to call them that and see how long it takes for my husband to catch on, lol.
And, if you need help with that bucket list, let me know. You'd be more than welcome to come here, and I really mean that! : )
Lots more snow over night. I'll be out shoveling again.
Enjoy your day!

Bernie H said...

Right, it will be cotton buds from now on! Thanks so very much for your kind welcome and if I'm ever able to do so, I'll definitely come and pay a visit.

Wall Flower Studio said...

You bet, Bernie! My bucket list consists of the France and Italy.
We can dream!
Hugs,
K