Welcome to Wall Flower Studio!
|Part of the front garden at Wall Flower Studio|
Wall Flower Studio is located in Haliburton County, Ontario, Canada. We're all about organic gardening, photography, and writing about the many available topics and happenings in and around the garden.
Karen, aka: Wall Flower Studio, was the Assistant Horticulturalist at the Toronto Botanical Garden. While employed there, she ran the Trellis Shop, organized and worked with many volunteers, organized mailings and information for the many Ontario garden societies, and also scheduled and ran certain classes, along with many floral/plant themed shows.
Karen also contributed to some of the TBG's gardens. She helped design and plant various themed gardens there including the Children’s Alphabet Garden, a kitchen garden, and a steppable Snail garden with herbs.
Previous to this, Karen worked as a floral designer for many years in Toronto at Van Nes Flowers. ( Still her favourite job to date!) She has also worked as a tropical plant maintenance technician, and still works a freelance designer with several flower shops, independant designers and wedding consultants.
Memberships and Associations
• Canadian Organic Growers
• Seeds of Diversity
• North America Native Plant Society
• Canadian Wildlife Federation
• Minden Horticultural Society
• Arts and Letters Club of Toronto (Past member)
Karen continues to offer courses, workshops and presentations, locally and regionally, on various horticultural topics. A sampling of past workshops below:
- “Easy Exotic Floral Design” Public Seminar - CNE (Exhibition Place) 2003
- “Container Gardening” - City of Toronto—Held at various public community centre’s. 2003
- “Using Native Plants in the Urban Garden” 2003
- “Creating a Pollinator Garden”2003
- “Succulents in the Rock Garden” 2002
- “Heirloom Plants: Saving and Reviving Lost Treasures” – 2004
- Making Seed Balls - Guerrila Gardening! 2009
- Heirloom Gardening; The Politics of Plants - 2010
- Dried flowers and herbs – Gifts from the Garden – Minden Horticulture Society 2011
- Coboconk Horticultural Society - Container Gardening - 2012
- Bobcaygeon Horticultural Society - Saving Heirloom seeds - 2012
The many speaking engagements across Ontario include:
- Garden Club of Toronto
- The Milne House Garden Club
- The Minden Horticultural Society
- The Toronto Botanical Garden
- The Norland Hort. Society
- The Canadian National Exhibition
- Various Toronto community centres.
Karen is experienced with maintenance of plant material, including annuals, perennials, herbs, shrubs and trees. She also well versed in creating living wreaths, heirloom gardening, seed saving, planting, sowing, propagation, as well as custom garden flower container designing.
Karen has painted professionally for 15 years, and her studio was a participating artist member on the Haliburton County Studio Tour for 6 years.
To date, Karen has sold more than 800 paintings and sculptures. Her work is collected world wide, and she continues to show her work in galleries across North America.
Karen has independantly owned and operated her own business in Haliburton Ontario since 2004.
Thank you for your interest!